Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Haute Potato Towers

This morning, after chasing around baby birds and throwing little sticks at Fat Tony, the mob boss squirrel of the pine tree grove, I finally got down to work in the garden. And I put in some serious elbow grease.

'Cause really, who gets a shower BEFORE they go out to garden.

But greasy elbows aside (and yuck factor firmly in your brain)

I finally got my potatoes planted.

I've recently discovered that there are about One Million ways to plant potatoes. And I've tried most of them.

Or two.

But I'm on to my third, so I'm a good way through that million.

There was the trash bag method that first year. I planted those potatoes in a big black trash bag, added more soil as I went, and kept pulling the bag up higher and higher as I filled it with dirt. And it went really well.

Until the tree fell on it and I had skewered baby potatoes.
Blame nature for that one,

In year two, I dug trenches and put them under just a bit of soil and added straw on top of them throughout the season until I assumed they were good and ready. And for small little creamer potatoes, I got some hefty baby elephant sized spuds.
But it took up a whole level of my tiered garden.
Eh...

So this year, it's towers.

I started with poultry fencing and twisted the ends together to form a circle.
 

\
I used dried grasses from our yard that we had trimmed back to line the metal frames.

 Then I filled the bottom with a few inches of dirt.

I put in my seed potatoes, making sure each spud had at least two eyes.

I pushed them into the dirt...
And put all ten in a layer. Then I covered them up with 2-3 inches of soil. I Think I'll add a few more layers of potatoes and try to get more out of my harvest.

I'll let you know how it goes. This idea is floating all over the Internet and I've seen some people say they've had a lot of success, and others say they didn't get anything at all.

How are you growing potatoes this year? What kinds are you growing? Share, Share!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment