Thursday, March 10, 2016

Well Hoop-La-De-Dah...








The growing season snuck up on me. Like a slow crawling slug over a salt mine.

Totally blindsided.


So I threw together a garden plan in my head, where it's now lost among the brambles up there, and slapped on my gloves, grabbed the seeds out of fridge hibernation, and got dirty.

I'll probably end up planting things on top of each other. I really should have written it all down. I've been getting distrac.....

Look! FLAX GRANOLA!

Anyway, call it over eager, but besides slapping in the traditional early crops, the potatoes, carrots, radishes, kale, lettuce, snap peas, etc... I also threw in a few directly sown summer squash and beans.

Why? Because today was 81 degrees. And call my a brimming optimist, but I'm going to use global warming to my full benefit. It's an El Nino year, and who knows what that means for spring.

Besides, they give you so many seeds in the packet. They're practically asking you to do something stupid  adventurous with all those extras. So I slapped one or two spares into the dirt and Viola! If it doesn't work, you can only accuse me of playing outside for a little too long.


And if it works, then I have earlier crops of some of my favorite vegetables.

But just in case nature is still predictable, I slapped up these bad boys. Hoop-house-thingys!
If there are any signs of cold weather, which for at least the next week there are not, I can cover the hoops with plastic sheeting I have folded up in storage.

My seeds will stay warm, and I will stay giddy.

And if everything dies... Meh. I have to go back outside and plant the gajillion more seeds I have left.
Hoop houses are my new Jam.
Blackberry, preferably. 
Said in a British Accent.
(are you doing it? in your head? right now?)


Lower garden hoops, cold frames, and potato towers.

I love this method for potatoes!
I got such a high yield last year, and I think it looks pretty.
If you plan on doing this near-idiot-proof method, just be sure to water. A Lot.
Or you're the idiot that couldn't be proofed.

This bed has all my early crops. I shouldn't have to cover it, even if we do get a near frost.
But it makes me all giddy to slap these up everywhere.
I might put a few in the house before Hubby gets home.
 
Maybe a few hoops over the dining room table. It'll be like eating in a tent.
It's pretty much fort building for adults.
 
What are you doing in your Garden right now???





No comments:

Post a Comment