Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Pumpkin Chunkin'

Every single thanksgiving (for at least one) there's been Punkin Chunkin' on television.

And since I'd rather save pumpkins for tossing as far as possible through a barren field, I'm looking for new kinds of squash lovin' dessert.

My butternut squash were so fantastic this year and I had a few left over and I was dying for some yummy kind of dessert. I though of a cobbler-ish dish, whipped mousse, something frozen, but nothing really beats pie. So ex-nay the pumpkin and substitute in the squash. And Yum!

I sprinkled allspice, cinnamon and a pinch of salt on my quartered squash and roasted them until they were tender.

I threw them right into my food processor, skins and all since I LOVE nibbling on the skins and I was too lazy to peel them. I added just a bit of sugar and pureed them till smooth, added two eggs and an egg white and pureed it until it looked (and smelled) amazing!!

While that was blending, I tossed together some almond flour, a dash of raw sugar, a stick of butter, a sprinkle of salt and that leftover egg yolk. I mixed it together with my hands until it looked like pea sized crumbs, added a splash of cold water, mixed it into a ball...

And pressed it into a crust, which I baked for 8 minutes until it was still soft, but not raw. I poured the squash over the warm crust...

Spread it around, banged the pan on the counter to smooth it out and popped it back in the oven at 350 for about an hour...

And it came out fantastic. Hubby Loves it and had NO IDEA it was butternut squash and not pumpkin. It was super tasty, fairly low in added sugar and just plop-your-face-swan-dive-style right into the middle kinda good.

I'd sit down and eat the whole thing, but since Hubby is undeterred in eating Butternut Squash Tart, he'd notice it was missing.

Bummer.

What are you cooking with leftovers from your garden? Share! Share!

1 comment: