Monday, November 12, 2012

The most delicious way to use Summer Squash (now that it's nearly winter)

I think I told you I had limelight squash out the wazoo this past year.

And there is no better way to use it up then to make brownies. Which I did repeatedly this summer.

There has to be a support group.

Vegan, rich, chocolaty brownies that will make you wonder why you ever wasted money buying eggs and oil.

Not only are these virtually fat free and animal free, but you get TWO different kinds of produce packed into each bite. And not only will you not be able to tell what that secret smattering of ingredients are; you'll be kicking yourself for getting sucked into the idea that brownies ever needed to be boring and dry and box-like.

And I am NOT a vegan. But I will never willingly go back to the basics if I have these ingredients on hand...

This is adapted from a betty crocker recipe (who would have thought??), but changed a bit since I refuse to bake with splenda and like my brownies a bit more dark chocolate...

Come on people. You could eat these for dinner and not feel guilty.

2 cups of zucchini, grated
2 cups of flour
1 cup sugar, raw unprocessed if possible
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 generous tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Mix all the ingredients together.

Pour into a greased 8x8 pan
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes until a knife comes out of the center clean.

Serve with homemade cinnamon infused whipped cream. (for the un-vegan in you)

I'd post a picture. But I ate them. Whoops.
I know you're wondering why I'm posting this now, but if you find yourself some good squash, or put some up in your freezer, now's the time to pull it out and heat up the house. Take something AMAZING to the holiday parties without worrying about packing on that winter weight. And if you manage to get a picture, share! But chances are, it's not going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment