Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Seed Swap Party 2013

Seeds are Everywhere.

I'm practically buried in them. Which I believe is contrary to the point of seeds.

And somehow I think I need more. I don't know why, but it's a compulsion. Like shopping for shoes. You can't help it. It's worth all the pain. And really, there's no harm in having too much, right?

So I thought I'd try that one in one out rule. I get a packet of seeds when I give one away, after I've taken what I need to get me through the year. Then I won't waste what I don't use. Spoiler alert. The attempt to save space in my seed box was an epic failure, but the result was a fun night with a room full of gardeners, new, experienced, young and old.

Welcome to Seed Swap 2013. The first Annual Seed Swap. Annual meaning I hope to have many more.

I added little notes of encouragement and handed out little seed starting tip cards with chalk painted wine bottles.
 
I put out reading materials for people to peruse as the wandered into the house.
Only the best magazine EVER of course....

And, if there's a party at my house, there's got to be food. One couple brought the most amazing salsa, both hot and mild, that they had put up last year. A superior blend of tomatoes, peppers, onions and nothing like the BLAH you get at the grocery store.

There were mozzarella balls with tomatoes roasted in olive oil with rosemary, thyme, and salt.

And there was shrimp with fresh cilantro chimichurri.
And stuffed potato skins, petite peppers stuffed with goat cheese and herbs, and kale chips.
Lots of kale chips...
And so much more.

There were seed pots made up for people to take home to start their seeds in ...

 And SO MANY seeds.
People brought fistfuls and bags and boxes of seeds.
Heirlooms, Organics and just the most bizarre varities...
 

Little envelopes were made up so that everyone could take what they wanted...

They wrote what they took and jotted down the instructions with fun colorful markers...
 
And for whatever they thought they might still need, there were plenty of catalogs available for perusing.
 
 
Speaking for myself, it was SO much fun! We sat around for hours and talked about tried and true gardening methods, total failures, and fun ideas for the upcoming year. We had newbies who were starting raised bed gardens for the first time ever and seasoned gardeners who had their hands in the soil for over 20 years.
 
It's a definite do-again kind of an event.
 
I'm already looking forward to next year!
 
Have you ever done/been to a seed swap before? What did you do there? Share, share!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment