Tuesday, January 7, 2014

These are my confessions

So it's beyond frigid in zone 6. Single digit danger out there.

Apparently Alaska is the place to be for warmth,

And, ever the optimistic gardener, of course I'm picturing everything on my garden wish list in full bloom, on my plate, and stored up in my pantry.

So somehow it seems apropos to curl up and draw it all out on paper during the most frigid day in twenty years. On a day where your breath is snatched right out of your lungs the moment you walk out the door. But sometimes the end results of gardening leave me breathless anyway...

And rebounding from the sentimentality, I thought I'd post a few gardening confessions.

It's good for the soul and may make YOU realize how little I know about gardening.

1. Sometimes I hate getting my shoes all mucky. So I garden in Hubby's shoes when he's not paying attention. (We'll keep this our secret) Because honestly, his shoes are WORN.

2. I did not weed AT ALL last year until the gardening season was over. And even then, it was only so I could find the tools I'd left under the thicket and brush. And somehow, my garden still produced an over abundance.

3. I dry herbs all the time, and I'm always trying something new. But sometimes I'm so worried I've messed up and I'll end up poisoning myself or my husband, that I never use it. And that's usually when I give things away. I know, it's awful. Like my yarrow and red raspberry leaves. They're supposed to be excellent in tea, but I'm so nervous to try them!

 
 
4. My grapes have been TERRIBLE! I've eaten a few frozen ones in champagne, and a dreadfully sour one outside, but they seem to suffer from a horrific blight problem I haven't solved. A friend told me it took three years to get a crop from his, so I'll cross my fingers and hope this is my year.
 
 
 
5. I'll buy things solely on how pretty they are. Like this squash.
 
6. I played with that squash on my floor in the kitchen for twenty minutes before I cooked it. It was a flying saucer about to crash into a burning black hole (my oven). I'm a hardcore child inside.
 
7.I built a towel fort for a baby bunny I found in my garden so that he would come back and play, even though he ate most of my tender kale plants and half my lettuce. He and his three sibling were to pathetic to chase away.
 
8. I buy a lot of seedlings. No matter how much attention I give to my own, I seem to half kill them in transition from my basement to the raised beds. I'm still getting the "weathering" thing down. I'd say maybe half of them survive and they fight for weeks to get to the stage the Amish grown seedlings seem to get to in a matter of days. Those Amish... talented and fierce.
 
9. I hate beets. I hate bugs. I hate grubs most of all. I'm learning not to squish spiders. I'm afraid of my Robin, and mangoes could kill me but I really just want to lick one. Just one more time. And maybe a bite or two. It's a sick version of Russian Roulette in my head.
 
10. When people ask me questions, I'm terrified to answer them. I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm sure half of what I say is wrong. I read as many books and blogs as I can on topics and then just try to regurgitate the general consensus.
 
But it's so exciting to learn through trial and error! What's the worst advice you've ever gotten?
Share, share, share!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment