Sunday, January 12, 2014

Some like it hot...

Have you ever thought,
 
"My cold frame is wicked-awesome, but I wish it was on Steroids... organic, non-GMO Steroids."
 
Well aren't you glad you're reading this...
 
I was in Williamsburg this past year with Hubby and the in-laws. We had such a blast wandering around aimlessly, oohing and awing and snacking. And I was on cloud nine. On every street there was a garden tucked behind each building. They were fenced in, lined in rows, edged with paths, floral, vegetable, decorative, colorful and wild, pristine and proper, shaded, sunny, and everything in between.
And there it was.
The official Williamsburg Garden.
Oh, I could have lived there. I wanted to take everything with me and drop it all on my property. Hubby had to chase me around and tell me no a lot.
But the most wonderful thing I wanted to take was also the largest and most improbable.
 
Hot Beds.
 
If done right, you can grow pineapple in a hot bed in a zone 5 or 6! (for you non-gardeners, that statement may seem a little lackluster, but it blew my mind)
 
So I cajoled poor Hubby in to letting me steal all of his supplies so that I could build my own.
This is not the complete project, but here's a preview of where it's going...
 
First I had to dig a big hole. Or Hubby brings over a machine and digs it for me because my little biceps are half the size of his. I mean, I'll wrap my hands around his bicep, but then he flexes and forget it... hands can't stay together and I'm just a melt-y puddle of amazement. (don't tell him I told you. He gets all eye-rolling when I swoon)

He started the boxes for me but left a nice pile o bricks for me to finish it up...

Then I backfilled the dirt around the boxes and packed it down...

And TADA! I know. Anticlimactic. I still have to build the cold frame styled boxes to go on top. But, this guy gets a hefty load of manure that's been made from horses that have eaten straw or grasses and a thin layer of compost and it can get upwards of 120 degrees. Then once the few inches of soil go on top, it settles down the 70-80's. Perfect for plants to begin growing in mid winter!
 
It's rather technical. From what I've read, the wrong levels can make the whole thing combust or explode. The wrong manure won't get it hot enough, and not enough soil can mean that you have cooked seeds.
 
Hopefully I'll have it ready to go soon. I'll post pictures of the completed project when it's finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment