Saturday, March 29, 2014

Filthy, Soaking Wet, and Giddy... Must be Spring!!!


It's one of those wet, early spring days. The kind that turn the ground into pudding...


But even the wretched, damp coldness can be a happy sign that spring is here. I'll take rain over snow any day....

And then there were the super happy treats. I got a seven foot surprise at my door today.
Poor Hubby. He's in that "what in the world?" stage that comes with every odd shaped package I get in the mail. He just gives me that quizzical half raised eyebrow and the "how much did you spend" look. I love that my family keeps me buried in seeds and gift certificates.... I'm sure I could put us in the poor house with just one good garden season shopping spree.

So I opened it up and, TADA!
TREES!!!!!

I got this little dwarf sour cherry tree to replace the laburnum that bit the dust.
(If I kill this tree I think Hubby's going to impose a "No more trees for the tree killer" policy)
 
I LOVE sour cherries, but for some reason, Zone 6 farmers must hate them. They're nearly impossible to find fresh. I'd trade a thousand bushels of sweet cherries for a pint of sour.
 
And since my friend's tree was struck down by God, with a bolt of lightning, it's been a while since I've had a decent sour cherry pie...

And then there were the apple trees...
Dwarf Column apple trees!!!
They don't get large branches. The apples just grow right along the single trunk.
They are a HUGE space saver and don't cut out a lot of sunlight.
I'll transplant these in to larger pots eventually, but I wanted to get them in the dirt so the roots wouldn't dry out...



And now I just have to mop, RE-MOP I should say, my floors. Absolutely filthy! I think I brought half the mud back in with me.

Happy problems!

 
How's your garden?
Have you ever planted trees?
Share, share, share!!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment