Monday, April 9, 2012

Snack Attacks are Hubby's Woes

It's started already.

My asparagus is shooting out of the ground.
And unlike the stringy, stalky asparagus you'll find in the grocery store, this stuff is tender and delicious.

And I know that because I've already eaten a piece. Or two. And if this first week is any indication, poor hubby will not be eating home grown asparagus this year. Because even those fat, chubby stalk of asparagus are as tender as ever. And if hubby wants any, he's going to have to sneak out in the middle of the night to get it.

But Hubby may have a shot at some other vegetables this year.

The sugar snap peas are popping up, finally adding a bit of color to the dismal patch of brown earth that was the garden.

Watermelon radishes are sprouting, as are the rutabagas, head lettuce, and turnips.

The potatoes are planted, and though hubby will have to wait a while for them, he's been promised the bulk of the harvest in every delicious culinary form.

The kale is in, and though I see the faintest hints of green, I'm not quite sure whether or not they are weeds or food. Hopefully, I'll be able to determine that in a few more days.

The carrots are also planted but if i have one more bad year of carrots, I'm giving up on them. I don't have the patience to wait on them and they never do well in my garden. This year, I manipulated myself into trying them again with a kaleidoscope variety. Maybe eating a purple or yellow carrot will win me over this year.

The grape vines are budding. Last year was their first year and I got all of four grapes, which was more than I expected. I can't wait to see what they do this year. I pruned them back rather viciously and since I have no idea what I am doing, I am eager to see if it was too much or just what they needed.

Even this hardy little guy I almost tore out last year is sending out some vigorous little shoots.

The pepper plants are still indoors and doing well, along with all of my herbs. All of which I am eager to put outside, but it seems as though the weather likes to hover around 35 degrees once a week, just low enough to give me pause. No use in killing everything, now that we are so close to that last frost date.

And inedible or not, my favorite little flowers are finally popping up in my shaded garden area. I love bleeding hearts...

I'm so excited about my garden's progress! What's going on in your garden right now?
Share! Share!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I planted another big tray of seeds today...dill, cilantro, catnip :) , more lemon balm, honeydew, watermelon, a few kinds of peppers, and a bunch of flowers. I also tried my hand at dividing some of my peas, cukes, carrots, and parsley. Hopefully this stuff grows!!

    ReplyDelete