Monday, April 2, 2012

Your mom is just Dandy... Lying!

It's dandelion season.

Which means you're momma is dead.

Though I really don't get the correlation between momma havin' a baby, her head popping off and dandelions, though most of us have probably sung the little rhyme and popped the top off of those little flowers.

And what a waste.

And for those of you SO eager to drench your yard in costly pesticides to get the greenest, weed free lawn, you are missing out on a TREMENDOUS opportunity.

Dandelions are awesome.

And not just for the awesome, mom-killing poem.

There are SO many practical uses for these little "weeds."

And the first on my list to try this year is Dandelion Wine.
I've found a pretty easy recipe here:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,173,154185-252204,00.html

And as soon as I gather one gallon of dandelion flowers, I'll let you know how it tastes. And if you see me running through your yard late at night, ignore me. I'm "weeding" your yard.

The second thing on my list is probably the simplest.
Dandelion greens salad.
It's as simple as exchanging dandelion greens for spinach or lettuce. I've seen recipes with torn flower heads on the top, wild violets mixed in and anything else under the sun that you could think to add to a salad.

The Third is one of my current favorites:
Dandelion Tea

It's fairly simple to make (and even easier to buy at your local any-organic-isle grocery store).

Pull up dandelion roots, chop them in chunks, rinse them until the water runs clear, chop them in a food processor, roast for 2 hours at 250 until the pieces look similar to ground coffee and then use a little tea infuser ball and steep a Tbsp. in a cup of hot water. I LOVE dandelion tea. Love love love. It has such a delicious nutty flavor and is healthy and good for you.

And I haven't even gotten to the Dandelion Jam yet...

Maybe the time of cursing your neighbor has come to an end!

And even if you don't want to eat them, you can make a wicked flower crown.

Or you could just keep threatening to behead your mother....
And I bet you're just the type who doesn't mind stepping on cracks to break her back either....

No comments:

Post a Comment