Monday, February 27, 2012

Caution: Gardenista Driver Ahead

There are a lot of things I planned on doing in my life. College, marriage, children...

But I never thought that my American Dream picket fence would actually be hog fencing and I would be driving down back country roads with an angry line of drivers behind me, wondering why a person with 16 foot fencing hanging off the back of her truck would only go 5 miles per hour over the speed limit. But it's Monday and I thought I'd spice things up a bit.

I'm fighting the sterotype that women can't drive...pickup trucks...with 6 feet of fencing over the cab and six feet hanging off the back, hitting every pothole on the way. Cause I'm a gardenista driver, and we like the potholes....

I bet those angry people don't get enough organic in their diets...

So I got home and frolicked about my garden, which is VERY hard to do when you've got sixteen foot fencing in hand, overhead, teeter-tottering you back and forth in a drunken-esk stupor across a plot of mud. It was so much fun.

It's a bit hard to see, which is sorta the point; drivers hate me but so far my neighbors and I have no quarrel. This is one squash trellis. I can't wait to see how many people get concussions from my garden this year. I may have to hang a warning sign...

This is my bean tepee And probably my second home. I think I need to plant some kind of moss inside or sedum or something that tolerates shade that I can curl up on.

This is squash trellis two. (And the piles of supplies that will hopefully become our patio this spring.)

This is the stump seat from which I will perch and nibble on all things yummy. Poor hubby. He's more apt to get scurvy than he is a fresh sugar snap pea. And the asparagus is growing right behind me, so there's no way he'll get that either...


Those are the posts from which I will hang netting for cucumbers to climb up and over and through, and a rough overview of my garden.

And this is spring, fighting winter and wining. Go Spring!

What are you doing to get ready for spring? Building structures? Planting seeds? Cleaning the yard?

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful and very fun to read! Can't wait to see how your garden takes off and what delights you shall cook up in the kitchen come harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so ahead in the game! I got Joe tilling the garden now AS I TYPE! Our squash has a little fence to grow up, but I think I'm going to try to mimic this trellis you have going on... otherwise I don't think there will be enough height for them. Also, my neighbor recommends growing cucumbers UP like squash, beans, and peas. I've still got a lot to work to do, but you are inspiring me heavily!

    ReplyDelete