Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I Miss You...(Not so Savage) Garden

You'd have to have REALLY lived through the 90's to get that title... or you'd have to have access to google.

But I missed you, blog and blog readers, more so than you missed me I'm sure. Life has been a topsy turvey roller coaster of events. Or maybe that's the vertigo that comes with the ripe old age of 27, of which I now am.

And it's also February, which is one month closer to full fledged gardening than January, which is the most despised month of the year. (this is my blog; I create reality here)

Seed starting season is baring down on us and it's time to rinse out those pots, pull out the soil mixtures and roll around in all those packets of seeds. (I'll have to use something else to stuff my mattress)

So I put together my little seed station- in the basement because my husband evicted me from the living room. So I HAPPILY frolicked down the basement stairs, eyed a flock (?) of spiders up and down, and set about unplugging important things (freezer? washer? Pfttt...) to make space for all the trailing mess of cords I needed to use. And TADA...
It's a rough slap-together job, and I'll adjust it more when I actually start my seeds, but I was too excited to wait. It's a recycled laundry station from Walmart. Pots and things on the top shelf, heat lamp, grow light and seed table in the center, and a hodge podge of storage on the bottom. It's not the cutest thing ever, but it has wheels on the bottom and makes an excellent dancing partner. Also my hubby has decided my hobby takes up to much space, so I can shuttle this around corners and hide it behind things when he looks in my direction.
I got a cheap heat bulb from Lowes and popped it in a cheap contractor clip light. My hubby begrudgingly (and yet lovingly) gave me this fantastic florescent light fixture for my grow light. I used 'S' hooks and chain to hang it since I want it to be adjustable as my plants grow taller or if I use different pots or seed trays.
I picked up this handy dandy timer to plug my lights into so that I don't have to run up and down the stairs several times a day. (I did mention those spiders, right?) Now it's just a whole lot of inner turmoil and fingernail tapping and waiting for that perfect seed starting date...

And then there was my birthday.

3 1/2 years ago a fantastic man asked if he could spoil me for the rest of my life with practical things like love and garden hods. Of course I said yes. (Though he may not have actually mentioned anything about the garden hod) And for the past few holidays and birthdays he has gone above and beyond that little promise and kicked me out of the basement so that he could "clean without interruption" when all along he was building me some of the coolest gifts ever.

This year I got my garden hod. (Though I think I convinced my nephews that it was the worst bee-keepers mask ever) I can't wait to gather up my veggies and hose them down in this fantastic little contraption. Did I ever mention how much I love my hubby?

No comments:

Post a Comment