Saturday, March 24, 2012

No Tushy Shots

That was Hubby's only demand as he helped (or did all the remaining construction work) to put the pallet compost pile together.

Which was a hard promise to keep, but I did my best not to post them on the Internet.

Hubby is a modest man.

But I did get a bunch of great shots of my happy new pallet garden/ compost pile, which isn't quite done yet, but it will give you a fairly good idea of where I'm going with it...
First, Hubby dug a shallow trench for the pallets to rest in at the base.

He laid out the pallets as a guide so he would know how far to dig.

He set up the pallets in the trench, that I had previously backed with a double layer of weed blocker material, covering the back and bottom, but leaving the top open. I'll shovel dirt in from the top as I layer my herbs in the grooves.

Hubby used yard markers for temporary stakes to hold everything in place.
He centered another pallet in the center, backside. We'll put one more on each side when Hubby picks up more pallets and I'll probably line the backs of them with chicken wire to keep any compost from poking through the weed blocker fabric.

Hubby screwed them together so they'd be sturdy.

Tada! I'll post update photos when I get the herbs planted.

How are you growing your herbs? Any fun containers or unusual methods? Share! Share!



2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Way nicer looking than my compost bins made out of old crumbly pallets :P! I'm putting our herbs everywhere, mixed in with our flower beds, in old barrels lining the driveway, and in between veggies in the garden. I can't wait to have them all fully sprouted and ready to venture outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So fantastic! I'm going to try to spread a few around my tomato plants and a my brasicas to keep the yucky bugs at bay.

      Delete