Saturday, March 24, 2012

Why Drowning in a Pool is better than Drowning in the Rain...

Don't overhead water.

Blah Blah Blah.

"They" (you know, the "them" that know everything) say it all the time.

Overhead watering drowns seeds, it can cause fungi more easily, and yada yada. Yeah, right...

Except that maybe the "They" know what they are talking about.

Which I discovered with a fun little experiment...
Little mason jar green houses. Well, kind of... But I thought it would be neat to start herbs indoors in these super easy to get jars that warm up nice and toasty in the sun, like a little upside down garden cloche. So I started Nasturtium (nah-stir-shum), Chives, Cilantro, Oregano and Parsley in jars.


And, oh my, these little fellas took off. They really do seem to love the jars, Except for one tiny problem.

You can't soak a mason jar in a tray of water, so over watering is really the only choice. I did use a little spritzer bottle, but even that pushed some of the seeds to the side of the jars and down the inside.

And some of them went WAY down to the bottom. I don't know how this poor little fella is gonna do, but if he starts climbing up, I'm gonna try to save him.

Lesson Learned.

Now that I've started experimenting, I'm going to see how many ways i can use glass jars. I might just try to use them as inexpensive garden cloches. Imagine how many plants you could start just a little bit earlier!!

Any ideas? Share! Share!

No comments:

Post a Comment