Tuesday, January 17, 2012

For da birds, dats for shure!

Only close family members will get that title, and I promise you they are all probably muttering it as they read it, in that Forest Gump-esk accent.

But the lack of sanity that runs through my family aside, my stash of fantastic Christmas gifts has led me to ponder the side yard of my property- my Bird Sanctuary- which right now is basically a large shaded soupy puddle of mud.

I know, I know. Yuck! Blobby dirt... That's EXACTLY what you're thinking, and it's very perceptive. My hubby, did I mention he's fantastic?, put in these egress window wells this past summer, but poor weather and looming projects kept anything from being done to the actual ground, which is now quite gross. But Oh, I have plans. Poor hubby!
 I got these for Christmas. So psyched! and I can't wait to add it to my side yard tree area.
Okay, when it comes to flowers, I am a bazillion times worse at them then I am at vegetables, which I am NOT great at. BUT, after aquiring a new book, via facebook, called Treasury of gardening, I am feeling a little bit more comfortable with the idea of turning this into a shade garden with hostas, mamoth ferns, astillbes, bleeding hearts, honeysuckle, etc. I really want to draw the birds into this area. Birds will eat my bugs which would eat my plants which would make me cry. It's a preemptive strike.
I've already got this bird house from my hubby, who loves me and spoiled me with fun things that I love for my anniversary last year.
This came from my mom, who is letting me "borrow it." Forever. That's how I borrow things. Poor mommy!
And this one too, though she already gave me permission to borrow it on a much more permanant basis. Did I mention that I plan on growing bottle neck gourds this year? Hopefully in a couple more years, I'll have lots of brightly painted gourds hanging as bird houses from my trees. I'm looking forward to it!!!! If anyone has had any success with shade gardens, I'd be so happy to see your comments below! I'm going to attempt ferns first. We always had this massive cluster where I grew up. I'd love to try to grow my own.
Just so that maybe one day I can torture my very own kids with horrific pictures in front of them. I loved my Osh Gosh.

No comments:

Post a Comment