Friday, May 4, 2012

Berry Unique

I'm trying something different.
Maybe that makes me a genius, but I'd lean towards crazy. And maybe it's something no one has tried before because there's a reason. Like, it won't work... But part of being the Bumbling Gardenista means I get to try things and make mistakes and tell all of you that it didn't work, and hopefully "why." And for those of you in the know, you get to laugh at my scatterbrained antics. Lucky you.

Say hello to my vertical strawberry bamboo garden....


These bamboo poles are the posts holding up the PVC arches that my wisteria is growing across, which should create a beautiful wall of flowers around the patio (once the patio is started... and finished).

I cut large notches every 16 inches or so, about four to each pole.
On one of the posts, I wrapped strawberry plants, and a fair amount of the potting soil that came with them, in burlap and shoved the bundle inside of the bamboo.

On the Second post, I used the notches and tied the entire strawberry plant and dirt ball with the burlap, using the notch to keep it from slipping down. Like so...

I'm curious to see which one does better when it comes to watering and yield. So far, they both seem to be doing fine and the first post is actually showing the first slightly red tinged berries.

I know it might not be true "hydroponic" gardening, but I'm rooting for the first post. If it works, IMAGINE what could be done...

...A whole wall of plants notched in to the bamboo. The garden would only be limited by the height of the bamboo available and the reach of your tallest ladder. I've seen bamboo top 30 feet, easily. That's one spectacularly tall dream garden...

I'm sure there are a thousand garden things you can do with bamboo. Any ideas?

Share, Share!!!!

Oh, and by the by, check out this little treasure I found tucked into my wisteria the other day.

1 comment:

  1. I cant wait to be able to plan and grow stuff, especially strawberries! Once you plant them there will be more and more of them each year.

    http:yuliconversations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete